Tuesday, August 15, 2023

KEILLOR LAKE MICHIGAN

 We flew early in the morning from Albany to Chicago and then got a rental car to go to Keith's lake house for the gathering.

The early morning, especially with a damp mist after rain, left me with flashbacks to basic training and the huge sadness that comes with that.  I expected to need to carry a flashlight with an extender plastic to make it like a light and have to march to the chow hall for breakfast.  I was always the most lonely in those days.

I woke up from a dream that I was an Anglican priest and Bob Lusiak was visiting.  While we talked, I picked out trash from the large bushes surrounding the little yard.  At one point out came deteriorated American flag.

The flight was easy.  Long lines but I did the boarding with no wheel chair.  A young thin Black woman and her little girls sat next to me.  So, it was a comfortable ride.

The landing was disturbing.  But we got to Chicago, and met the car guy outside at the Uber pickup.  Elizabeth used an app to get this car and it was cheaper.  The guy was great.

We stopped at Mejier's grocery and at a Farmer's Market, buying food for the gathering.  I brought my pretzel nuggets from home in my luggage.  Keith thought that was hilarious.

The little cabin we stay in is at a neighboring lake, Magician Lake.  It is just perfect for the two of us.

We met Cory and Reid and Dana at Keith's lake house and had a good visit.  Later Keith, Bern and kids came, and we had more fun.  They are getting so grown up.  

It was a good talk except that Bern's dad is not doing well.  He fell.  They want to place him somewhere, but he won't have it.  

Katie could not come because Fred is being placed in Assisted Living right during these days.  He is cooperative about it so far.

It is very hard to know that I'll be next, and then Elizabeth.   A hard point in life.

Mike and Michelle will come for breakfast tomorrow.

We had a fine time, but we did get tired, even with a good nap.

***************************

Day 2

I went swimming and went underwater.  Something happened to my right eye, probably sinus infection and the night was painful and worrisome.

Elizabeth helped me get ice on it and I took a sumatriptan.  Something worked.  The next day I was fine.

We had great corn on the cob that Keith maked in the grill by soaking the ears and then roasting them on the grill.

There was lots of food, including a grand salmon.

Ann and Jeff visited and brought a large box that the kids loved to play in.  It was very funny.  Even Reid liked it.

Day 3

We fished and the kids caught some small bluegills which I cleaned up for next days supper.

It was supposed to rain, but it stayed sunny all day and when I went in the water to wash off the scales from the fish cleaning as well as my cleaning tools, all came down to swim or watch.  Nice evening.  Again, no time for poker.  Twice the kids have tried to play, but we all get too tired at night.

Hamburgers and hot dogs for supper with potato salad.  Grill work by Cory.

Day 4

I had a great sleep in until 5:30.  Nice dreams but they are unremembered.  

It looks like another great day here.  Not much chance of rain.  Steak tonight and bluegills cooked whole.

Keith and Gio had to go back home for a soccer tryout and will be back today.

It was fun to see Sylvia meet up with the cousins.  She does not see much of them, I guess.

Folks have seemed to like the books I brought them.   

We had good food.  One night Keith roasted corn and Elizabeth used the left overs for a great soup.

Cory did hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill.  The burgers were dry, perhaps the meat was not fatty enough.  Great hot dogs.

Keith did steaks on the grill and Elizabeth baked potatoes.  All very good.

Lots of snacks, including these small sugary pillows that Bernie made.  Bad for my sugar, but very good. Lots of chips of all sorts.

I took the Lime Lake sized bluegills the kids caught and fried them up whole. Everyone liked them.  That peanut oil does a good job.

We took a ride in the pontoon and saw the entire lake twice.   That was fun. 

We swam.

After cleaning fish in my swim suit and sun shirt, I got the scales off by going in the water and also washed the equipment.

We did not see any large fish caught.  One man and in young son fly fished the lily pads and came up with nothing, although the boy fell in once from the kayak.

POKER  

We played into the night one night until midnight and Dana drove me back to our place.

The poker was fine..

Julie and Tera were great.  

Keith took the big money; Frank lost the big money.  I lost $3.  One diamond on the river against Keith would have made that a good bit different.  Keith pushed me off one pot.  I suspected he had little, so I stayed with my pocket tens and won another all-in pot.

The poker was both fun and frustrating.  It convinced me not to hold a home game here.  We all play online, but the machine does the dealer work and that is easier.  Also, in spite of a nap, I was tired. 

The last day was tiresome and fun. 

We had a late flight, so we visited Tera's sister Elizabeth and her husband Dan and kids in St. Joe.  

Nice visit.

We went out to eat at a place on Lake Michigan and sat outside on the roof. 

Here was the view of Lake Michigan.





 Elizabeth had ribs.  I had yellow perch fillets.  All was good.  The perch was not wonderful, but it was fun to have it.

There was a park nearby with an old cannon and a merry-g-round.   




We sat on a bench for a while.  Elizabeth caught a nap.


There were two reported crashes on the large highways, so as advised by the GPS we went "off highway" which was scenic and fun until Gary.  Then it was not nice.  

On the way we passed Lake Side memories.  Oink's.  Redmaker's.  The market.  That was fun for Elizabeth.  We did not have appetite for iced cream.

Then we checked into our flight.  It was late.  The flight was fine.  I read.  But in Albany it took us a half hour for them to get our luggage off the plane.  Albany sucks late at night.


I was very happy to get home.

I guess I don't fly well anymore. 

Elizabeth slept a bit on the plane, and it was a clear ride home.  

Everyone else got home fine.  Keith had to go back for Reagan's retainer. He was not happy. 

I am very comforted to be back home.

My clothes hanger contraption fell down, so I had one hours work on that, some from a chair.  I don't easily climb chairs.

Here is the view from Keith's deck.  He has incredible footage.  Two docks. Great geese to watch.  






Sylvia got a nice hair bun.  


The raft was fun.

View of a great house from the shore.  Not Keith's place.

Two boat captains.

Dew and Frank
on the pontoon
Gio's active time.
The three happy girls.


No comments:

Post a Comment